HOW TO BUILD YOUR HOSPITALITY DREAM TEAM
This 4-Step Strategy to Hospitality Staffing Success will help you build your hospitality dream team!
This 4-Step Strategy is designed to help hospitality business owners and managers like you who;
- are overwhelmed
- struggle to find and keep staff
- have problems with staff performance and attitude
- want a successful hospitality business (and a life!)
- have a vision but aren’t sure how to bring it to life
In this article, you’ll learn how to;
- profit more from your staff – through saving on staffing costs and increasing sales and productivity.
- use training in your business to make it better (without costing you a fortune)
- become an employer of choice – so that you get your pick of the best staff, have great staff retention, and a happy team environment.
Everyone knows that staff are important in any business. But for hospitality businesses, they are vital. Because your staff serve your customers directly. So they ultimately ensure your business’ success (or otherwise).
We have over 20 years experience working with hospitality businesses all over Victoria. And see the same problems over and over again…
- not being able to find good staff
- high staff turnover
- negative customer reviews
- poor supervisory skills
- no time to spend on big picture stuff
But the good news is that it doesn’t have to be this way. There are some hospitality businesses that don’t struggle with these things…
We know because we work with them.
“Having AVTES involved in our business has been great for the PubCo Group. The lift in morale across management teams as a result of training programs has been invaluable to the business.” Matt Nicola, PubCo Group
Can you imagine your life and business if you;
- could find and keep good staff
- had staff that were happy to come to work
- got great customer reviews and loyal customers
- staff more able to take on more responsibilities, giving you time to step back and focus on growing your successful business
- had a profitable and successful hospitality business with a lifestyle balance…
Well, we’ve helped over 800 hospitality businesses do just that!
Over the last 20 years we’ve developed a 4 stage system to achieving all these things. It’s called the Hospitality Staffing Success system.
The Hospitality Staffing Success system helps you build your hospitality dream team. It is simply a combination of;
Reducing staffing costs by reducing;
- Staff turnover
- Wages costs, etc.
Increasing revenue associated with staff by increasing;
- Staff productivity
STEP 1. FOCUS ON RETENTION
DID YOU KNOW IT COSTS 1.5X THE ANNUAL SALARY OF THE ROLE YOU ARE FILLING. EVERY TIME YOU HIRE TO REPLACE STAFF?
The best way to reduce your turnover costs is to increase staff retention. This also increases staff productivity and reduces your wages costs.
STEP 2. LOOK AT YOUR EMPLOYMENT ARRANGEMENTS
MYTH BUSTER: EMPLOYING CASUALS IS NOT CHEAPER. IN FACT YOU SAVE AROUND 12% MOVING A CASUAL EMPLOYEE TO PART-TIME.
Consider permanent employment arrangements, including part-time and full-time. They come with a range of benefits – including costs. New Hospitality Award changes have increased flexibility for hospitality employers around part-time employment arrangements. You’ll also be able to access training subsidies AND financial incentives where eligible.
STEP 3. BECOME AN EMPLOYER OF CHOICE
Being an employer of choice will make it easier to attract new staff and retain your existing staff.
You can gain an employer of choice reputation by;
- committing to your staff – permanent employment arrangements, investing in training
- providing good working conditions – reasonable work hours, adequate breaks, prompt payment.
- please take care to ensure you are adhering to your Industry Award.
STEP 4. INVEST IN TRAINING
DID YOU KNOW – 74% OF PATRONS WOULD PAY MORE FOR A PRODUCT RECOMMENDED BY A TRAINED SERVER?
Training is good for your business – here’s why;
- More knowledge means better systems and processes
- Better skills means increased sales and productivity
- More confidence means improved staff morale and attitude
- Better products and service means you can raise your prices
- Career pathways means better retention rates
There are many different kinds of training you can make use of, including;
Accredited training, including apprenticeships and traineeships, can play an integral part in your overall training strategy. They are designed specifically for students in employment. To meet your needs as an employer and industry standards.
There are Government subsidies and financial incentives available for eligible programs. And eligible students attract a Work Cover exemption.
So, that’s it! That’s our 4-Step Hospitality Staffing Success Strategy to help you build your hospitality dream team.
Now, you are in possession of knowledge that can save you a lot of time, money and heart ache. And help you build your own wildly successful hospitality business. But…
Unless you understand how to correctly implement these systems, which training opportunities are best for you, and follow through with improvements – this will remain underused knowledge.
If you’d like to use this new knowledge to its full potential, I’d like to invite you to book a Strategy Session. To discuss how we could help you build your successful hospitality business.
“The best thing about having an organisation like AVTES involved in my business is that it gives me the freedom to step back and work on the business, to look at other opportunities and more importantly spend time with my family.” Adrian Alexander, Cervo Cafe Bar